Saturday, April 18, 2009

What is the Catholic Church?

I have been volunteering in my children's school and for our Church for many years. My oldest daughter is 22years now and I started helping out her preschool teachers when she was 3 and our Church for just a few years less. I guess I have been surprised lately when I heard a few different people make comments about why they could not help out in the Church.

A couple of people, a man and a women, who are not related, said that because they are senior citizens and had helped out for a number of years already, they had put in their time and were done. Another young women said that because she worked and had a young child, that if the Church gave her a paid position she would be able to do more, but that she couldn't really put in much time otherwise.

I have been dumbfounded by these comments. Not only do these particular senior citizens have better strength than I , because of my chronic pain syndrome, they have lots of time off because they are retired. They have been spending their time at home getting aggravated at the problems in the world or shopping or trips to the Casino. The young woman that made the comment that she couldn't because of working and having a young family is only stating the same sentiments as her contemporaries, but what bothers me about her comments is that I myself, and many of my friends did and do a lot of volunteering with jobs and kids too.

What happened to people wanting to help because they knew it was their duty. When did people forget that they are the Church? In my discussion with people in my parish and from other parishes, I am finding that many people think that the Church is simply an institution that should provide them with the programs and activities that they want and need. They don't realize that they are the Church and the programs and activities are theirs to develop and organize. Priest today are stretched so thin and Catholics today are expecting many things that their grandparents didn't. Vacation Bible School, family programs, Adult religious studies, adult bible study, counseling, book discus ion groups, prayer groups, youth groups, young adult groups and many more are part of the needs of the new Catholic family and are very good for the spiritual growth of the Catholic family but for the most part are new for most parishes.

People don't realize what we are all called to at our Baptism. That we are responsible for each other's journey to heaven. Catholics are really afraid the the word "evangelization". But that is what the Church is for (we are for). Providing good experiences for each other to learn and love the faith is important for Evangelization. We Are The Church. Pope John Paul II called the Church to a New Evangelization. He called each one of us.

I am not doing all this (volunteering) because I am so good and definitely not so smart. God has been using me even before I knew Him. I just hope that my writing this will be His way of reaching into their heart so that people will want to make time for each other, to do what they can do, and should do and will be very happy doing it. God Bless everyone who does the will of God.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph pray for us